Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Because hiking in Texas isn't really hiking...

So I went hiking the other day. I think hiking in the area where I live is kind of a joke. It's all pretty flat. It was a gorgeous day, but it wasn't anything too challenging. There are no hills or mountains or any obstacles really-except the warning of the ocassional alligator. Overall, hiking here is more like a relaxing Sunday stroll through the woods. So this old couple comes up to me at the trail head and asks if I need any help finding the trail I want. They explained that they hike there frequently and know the trails like the back of their hand. So I tell them I want to go on the 6 mile hike and point it out on the map. With that, they take one look at me and tell me that I should re-evaluate my decision and maybe go on the .5 mile hike around the lake. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but I'm assuming these old folks with their great outdoorsy outfits and matching walking sticks don't think I can handle a longer hike. Apparently I don't look like the "outdoorsy type". I thanked them for their advice and walked in the opposite direction to the trail I originally wanted to go one. I survived. It was actually a pretty trail and I didn't encounter any alligators (thank goodness... I would have froke out). I did run in to a deer, a lizard, and one very scary armadillo. What an adventure. I also saw the old couple as I was leaving the trails. I told them that I somehow survived the long hike... even without the aid of a walking stick.

No comments: