Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day


Leap Day. Not really sure what to make of the whole thing. I can't tell you where I was 4 years ago at this time celebrating such a glorious holiday. Well, if you can even call it a holiday. It's not like I had the day off or anything... well, I didn't have President's Day off either, so who really knows what constitutes a holiday nowadays, but I digress...

The two perspectives about Leap Day that resonate with me the most are the following:
  • The Leap Day. All because Earth takes 365 1/4 days to orbit the Sun, and we ignore the fractions 'til they add up to 1. 
  •  Leap day: An extra day of work this year without extra pay.
Yep, those about sum it up for me. We ignore the fact that it's not magic that created this day, but science. Then we work more than usual and get paid the same amount.

I know that NBC and 30 Rock want us to run around in our blue and yellow celebrating (don't worry, I did cave and wore blue and yellow because it's humorous), but I just don't really get it. Don't get me wrong, I understood the humor in the episode and laughed out loud quite a few times. I also have been looking for Leap Day William so I can get some candy, but to no avail.

People keep saying today is a chance to "take a leap" and do something you wouldn't consider doing any other day. I think that's a bunch of BS. Really? You have to wait once every 4 years to do something that you've wanted to do but were too chicken? Ridiculous. Not only that, but I then ask people what they are going to do to "take a leap" and their responses are even more ridiculous. No, eating a greasy hamburger when you normally only eat healthy does not constitute as "taking a leap". The more people talk about this day that doesn't seem to be anything important, the more annoying it becomes. Maybe I'm a cynic. Maybe I should find a reason to celebrate every day, especially the rare ones, but for some reason I can't get on board.

I think I may be more interested in getting on board if I lived near Disneyland. That is one thing about this day that is fairly amazing: Disneyland is open for 24 hours. Yep, 6am to 6am. I am slightly disappointed that I didn't know about this until yesterday because I would have taken a trip down there to ride Space Mountain at 3 in the morning when there are no lines, but o well. Maybe in 4 years...

 

 Listening to Passion Pit.

No comments: